Annandale Distillery was established in 1836 by George Donald, and has had three owners since its establishment, Liverpudlian wine and spirits merchant John Sykes Gardner (1883-1893) then it was later bought by the famous John Walker “Johnnie Walker” in 1893 but sadly due to issues caused by the first world war it ceased production in 1918 and was sold to the Robinson family in 1924.
In 2007 the distillery was bought by the Annandale Distillery Company LTD which is owned by Prof David Thomson and Teresa Church. Investing £10m to completely restore the heavily dilapidated Annandale Distillery back to its former glory and beyond. Keeping it independently owned and employing over 20 people.
In November 2014, the Annandale Visitor Centre opened and the first casks were filled. The first cask of unpeated whisky made the news and was put up for sale for a staggering £1million. The first cask of peated whisky ‘Cask 40’ was filled by ex- Scotland Rugby Union player Doddie Weir. Doddie was invited to do this after unwittingly becoming involved in the restoration of Annandale distillery by the distillery’s rugby fan owner Prof David Thomson.