After Mackenzie died in 1865, his wife leased the distillery to local banker James Fleming, before her son Thomas took over once more in 1879 alongside Fleming.
The distillery went through many owners over the years, and survived a major fire in 1917, eventually ending up in the hands of DCL (today, Diageo) in 1925. It remains in that company’s hands to this day.
Mostly used as a malt for blends, it is a large distillery, producing just over five million litres per annum. There is one distillery own bottling – a 16 year old, European Sherry oak matured Flora & Fauna edition – and a few limited editions, but is generally released from time to time by independent bottlers otherwise.